Hand sanitizer should be everyone’s best friend wherever you go. This is because there are germs lying almost everywhere and these germs, can be harmful to health.
If you go by your daily activity, using your hands in almost everything you do, and it’s time for you to eat, how do you do it? Imagine a situation where there is no water to wash your dirty hands and you need to eat!
If you have children that are still schooling, they have the highest chances of getting in contact with dirt and germs. These germs are harmful to their health because their immune system is not as developed as that of an adult.
Although store-bought hand sanitizers are good, they contain chemicals like Triclosan and additives. Triclosan is an anti-bacterial component that is used in almost all the alcohol-free sanitizers. It is said to be a major cause of hormonal disturbance and liver problems.
In addition to their chemical composition, they really don’t smell good.
This post is more like a life-saver because you will learn how to make your own hand sanitizer at home! And you will only need things you can easily find in your kitchen or home.
How To Make A Natural Hand Sanitizer
You will need the following ingredients to make your hand sanitizer:
1. Pure Aloe Vera Gel
2. Essential Oils– you can use the following:
- Clove- It has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties.
- Orange- It is a natural antiseptic, it smells good and it is an antioxidant.
- Rosemary- It is antibacterial and antifungal.
- Lavender- It smells good. In addition, it is antiviral and antibacterial.
- Cinnamon- It is a natural antiseptic, antibacterial, antifungal and it is an astringent.
- Tea Tree Oil
- Peppermint or
- Vitamin E- to moisturize the skin and prevent it from drying out.
- 1/4 cup of pure aloe vera gel
- 5 drops of clove essential oil
- 20 drops of orange essential oil
- 10 drops of cinnamon essential oil
- 5 drops of rosemary essential
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Mix thoroughly and your hand sanitizer is ready.
That is all you need to do to make your natural hand sanitizer to keep germs away.
For A Stronger Sanitizer
This variety of hand sanitizer is almost like the store-bought sanitizers. It can be somewhat similar to the sanitizers you buy in stores, it does not include the use of triclosan. It contains witch hazel and rubbing alcohol.
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Aloe Vera Gel
- Vegetable Glycerin (optional)
- Cinnamon Essential Oil
- Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Distilled Water
- 1/4 cup of aloe vera gel
- 1 tablespoon of rubbing alcohol
- 1/2 teaspoon of glycerine
- 10 drops of cinnamon essential oil
- 10 drops of tea tree oil and other oils of choice. (You can use lavender, lemongrass, orange, or peppermint or scent).
- Mix the ingredients together in a bowl till they are well combined.
- Add distilled water to the mix till you get your desired consistency.
- Transfer to a spray pump or container of choice.
- Use normally as you would use store-bought sanitizers.
- Witch hazel- use a brand that has alcohol. The additional alcohol helps to increase its potency in killing germs.
- Pure Aloe Vera Gel
- Tea Tree Oil- organic tea tree oil works best.
- Scoop the aloe vera gel into a big bowl to ensure proper mixing.
- Add ten drops of tea tree essential oil to the aloe vera and stir well
- Add a tablespoon of witch hazel to the mix and mix some more until well combined.
- After mixing, transfer into a clean squirt container and your sanitizer is ready for use.
Note: Use 10-15 drops for every 2 ounces of aloe vera gel.
Since this recipe involves the use of essential oil, I will advise that you take certain precautions. These precautions are necessary when you are handling concentrated plant extracts.
Also, not everybody can use the same type of essential oils, that is why it is paramount to test for allergy. Some people are allergic to lavender oil while some are not.
To test for allergy,
- rub a drop of any essential oil and olive oil on the inside of your elbow.
- Wrap a bandage or cloth over the place and wait for 24 hours if there will be any adverse reaction.