The Dukan diet plan, unlike some other diet plans, will help you lose weight without the fear of gaining it back. This diet plan was created by Dr. Pierre Dukan, who has experience of how the right nutrition can help us lose weight.
The effectiveness of this diet plan is a result of the fusion of both scientific evidence and the right nutritional values. On this diet, you lose weight fast, and you keep the lost weight away for good.
This Dukan diet operates on a strict high-protein and low-carb diet. You might be wondering how Dr. Pierre Dukan come about this diet plan.
He once had a patient that wanted to lose weight and agreed to stop eating all foods except meat. Sounds funny right? Yes! Considering his patient’s love for meat, he designed this high-protein, low-carb diet.
However, he divided this diet into four phases, two of which will help weight loss, and the other two helps to maintain the weight.
How does this diet help to lose weight?
Since it is a high-protein, low-carb diet, it helps to reduce the intake of carbohydrates that get converted into glucose. When there is excess glucose in the body, it may lead to some metabolic abnormalities like insulin resistance.
On the other hand, protein takes longer to get digested in the body, and by this, it helps to curb hunger and excessive cravings.
Four Phases Of The Dukan Diet
Below are the four phases of the Dukan Diet. Do read on.
1. The Attack Phase
As the name implies, the attack phase is a point where you attack the fats. This is because the stage is the most aggressive, and depending on how you tackle it, you can lose up to 2 pounds a day.
The duration of the attack phase lasts up to 10 days- based on how much pounds you want to get rid of.
In this phase, you are advised to drink at least one and a half liters of water every day. This is to keep your kidneys functioning properly and guide against dehydration. Also, you are required to walk for about 20 minutes every day and consume 1.5 tablespoons of oat bran daily.
Below is a list of foods you can eat while on the attack phase:
- Meat- chicken breast, crab, fish, shrimp, lobster, ground turkey, veal, chicken liver, lean cuts of beef, and pork.
- Dairy: eggs, low-fat milk, low-fat yogurt, cottage cheese, and ricotta cheese.
- Beverages- lemonade, water, and green tea.
- Others; diet gelatin, olive oil, and artificial sweetener.
2. The Cruise Phase
This second phase of the Dukan Diet can last for as much as you want until you reach your goal weight. The duration can vary from a week to a month or even longer. In this phase, the consumption of oat ban increases from 1.5 tablespoons to 2 full tablespoons.
Also, the walking period increases from 20 minutes to 30 minutes. To maximize the results in this phase, you are required to alternate between a day with foods only from the first phase with one day with foods from the first phase and vegetables.
While on the cruise phase, you can choose from these foods:
- Vegetables: carrot, beet, tomato, artichoke, cucumber, cauliflower, turnip, eggplant, broccoli, cabbage, bell pepper, spinach, kale, pumpkin, onions, green beans, leek, collard green, Brussel sprouts, and celery.
- Protein: ground turkey, chicken breast, mushrooms, lentils, chickpeas, soy chunks, veal, sprouts, fish, and lean cuts of pork and beef.
- Others: one tablespoon of olive oil and pickle.
3. The Consolidation Phase
During this phase, you should have reached your goal weight. And now, you can eat whatever food you want. However, you have to eat those foods in moderate proportions to avoid gaining the lost weight back.
In this phase, you will consume both proteins and veggies, as well as some starchy veggies.
The duration of this phase is from 5 days- you can choose to make it longer based on your preference. Besides, you are allowed to have a celebration meal only on the fifth day.
And on this day, you can have one three-course meal but should be one serving of each course.
Below is a list of foods you can eat during the consolidation phase;
- Veggies- sweet potato, celery, potato, leek, beet, pumpkin, spinach, kale, broccoli, cabbage, lettuce, cauliflower, turnip, eggplant, Brussels sprouts, and carrot.
- Fruits- watermelon, kiwi, berries, apple, plum, peaches, and orange.
- Protein- fish, ground turkey, veal, chicken breast, mushrooms, legumes, soy chunks, lean cuts of pork and beef.
- Carb- two slices of whole-grain bread
- Starch- pasta, beans, corn, white rice, or brown rice.
- Dairy- low-fat milk, low-fat yogurt, eggs, and hard rind cheese.
- Others- dark chocolate, pickle, and two tablespoons of olive oil.
Note: Based on the inclusion of starchy foods, you have to work out regularly. This will help prevent the body from retaining unwanted fats.
4. The Stabilization Phase
The final stage of the Dukan diet is the stabilization phase. There is no fixed duration for this as it can last for as long as you want- indefinite. During this phase, you can eat whatever food you want but in moderate amounts.
Also, this stage requires a lot of determination and commitment, so you do not fall back into your old ways of unhealthy eating. Yo do not want to eat the lost weight back, or do you?
You are required to have a day of pure protein consumption, two tablespoons of oat bran, 2 servings of fruits and veggies. Also, you can eat healthy fats and have a celebration meal every two weeks.
Note: Walk for at least 30 minutes every day, and if you cannot walk, try as much as possible to stay active. It will help!
During any of these phases, if you notice any form of weight gain, do not wait until later before you blast the fat off.
Proven Dukan Diet Plan To Shed 13 Pounds Just In 7 days
1. Attack Phase
Meals and What To Eat
- Early morning (7:00- 7:30 am)- Have a cup of warm water
- Breakfast (8:15- 8:45 am)- Eat 2 boiled eggs and a half tablespoon of oats bran
- Mid-Morning (10:30 – 11 am)- Drink green tea
- Lunch (12:30-1: 00 pm)- Grilled salmon and a cup of low-fat yogurt
- Evening snack (4: 00 pm)- 1 cup of lemonade with artificial sweetener
- Dinner (7:00- 7:30 pm)- Chicken steak and half a cup of warm milk.
2. Cruise Phase
During the cruise phase of the Dukan Diet, you’ll be eating all the protein sources mentioned in the Attack phase along with non-starchy veggies.
Meals and What to Eat
- Early Morning (7:00 – 7:30 am)- Warm water with lemon juice
- Breakfast (8:15 – 8:45 am) – 2 scrambled eggs, green tea and 2 tablespoons of oat bran
- Mid-Morning (10:30 – 11:00 am)- 1 cup carrots
- Lunch (12:30 – 1:00 pm)- Steamed tuna with asparagus and tomatoes
- Evening Snack (4:00 pm)- Green tea or half a cup of tomato slices
- Dinner (7:00 – 7:30 pm)- Grilled lean cuts of pork with artichoke and 1 small piece of dark chocolate.
3. Consolidation Phase
Meals and What To Eat
- Early Morning (7:00 – 7:30 am) – 1 cup of warm water with lime juice
- Breakfast (8:15 – 8:45 am) – Scrambled eggs, 1 slice of whole-grain bread and a half cup of low-fat milk
- Mid-Morning (10:30 – 11:00 am)- Green tea and 1 slice whole-grain bread with grated hard rind cheese
- Lunch (12:30 – 1:00 pm) – 2 tablespoon oat bran with honey and cinnamon
- Evening Snack (4:00 pm) – 1 serving of fruit – watermelon, kiwi, orange, apple, and blueberry
- Dinner (7:00 – 7:30 pm) – Roasted chicken and mashed potatoes and veggies
4. Stabilization Phase
Meals and What To Eat
- Early Morning (7:00 – 7:30 am) 1 cup water with 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or lime juice
- Breakfast (8:15 – 8:45 am) 2 soft-boiled eggs, 2 tablespoons of oat bran, and 1 cup low-fat milk or 1 cup fresh fruit juice
- Mid-Morning (10:30 – 11:00 am) – 4 almonds and a cup of green tea
- Lunch (12:30 – 1:00 pm) – Tuna or mushroom sandwich
- Evening Snack (4:00 pm) – 1 serving of fruits – Orange, peach, apricot, muskmelon
- Dinner (7:00 – 7:30 pm) – Pasta with shredded chicken and broccoli and 1 piece of dark chocolate.
Adhering to the Dukan diet plan mentioned in this post will give you a slim, toned, and fit body. However, you have to understand that our bodies do not change overnight.
This implies that you should not expect a rapid weight loss after 2 days of abiding by the rules of the Dukan diet. Before you start this diet, be sure to consult with your doctor because he knows what is best for your health.
Also, stay away from this Dukan diet plan if you suffer from gout. Why did you ask? Because staying in the attack phase of this diet may cause gout, kidney damage, liver disease, and kidney stone formation.